Substitute Library Associate –East Cleveland Public Library
Job Title: Substitute Library Associate
Immediate Supervisor: Executive Director
Department: Public Services
FLSA Status: Non-Exempt
Under general supervision, the Substitute Library Associate provides general library services to patrons. The Substitute Library Associate is called to fill in when other library employees are not available to work or when additional staff is needed.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS
- Provides general reference services to patrons; responds to questions from patrons in person and over the telephone; retrieves requested materials for patrons.
- Performs Reader’s Advisory services and recommends materials to patrons
- Enters reserve and interlibrary loan request for patrons, schools and organizations
- Directs patrons to appropriate area of the library; assists patrons in using library equipment; compiles subject bibliographies; conducts library tours
- Assists with maintaining the adult collection including weeding and shifting
- Maintains knowledge of available material developments, trends and patron preferences
- Assists with maintaining department files, records and indexes
- Oversees processing of interlibrary loans
- Prepares interlibrary loan reports; maintains interlibrary loan files
- Performs additional duties and assignments as requested.
Bachelor’s degree and minimum of one (1) year of library experience or an equivalent combination of education, training and experience.
Ability to define problems, collect data, establish facts and draw valid conclusions; plan, schedule and organize work; prepare meaningful, concise and accurate reports;
EAST CLEVELAND PUBLIC LIBRARY
communicate effectively in written and oral form; develop good rapport with library patrons, supervisors and co-workers.
Knowledge of library policies and procedures*; library science and technology; electronic information resources; automated systems; computer software*.
*May be acquired after hire*
PHYSICAL AND MENTAL DEMANDS
Work requires bending, standing, stooping and lifting, and reaching high bookshelves for long periods. Work may require pushing or pulling filled library carts and lifting up to 50 pounds of materials.
An individual who poses a direct threat to the health and safety of other in the workplace will be deemed not qualified for this position.
Submit resumes to firstname.lastname@example.org.